Monday, June 05, 2006

The Cult

May 1983.... I had just lost the only friend I ever had up to that time. She might have been an alien.... one of those aliens in disguise that you hear about in sci-fi films... I often wondered about that... that would be the story of my life, the best friend ever being an alien!!

Whatever.... she probably was not an alien.... in any case, I had just lost her, and I was alone once again.

Now throughout the years I had been involved with this certain cult calling themselves Christians.... I had not converted to their faith, but I had been attending the youth group run by that church, plus a meeting or two....

And you know the classic scenario.... black sheep of family, just lost friend, suffering loneliness.... the cult offering acceptance that was denied him elsewhere.

I took the bait.... May 1983 was when I was "converted" to this cult, I had essentially became a "Christian" with this group.... started attending church, getting involved with this group.... now Jesus was my friend.... or, as it turns out, the members of this church became my new friends.

The date of my "conversion" coincided with day 42 of the Omer, that is, the 42nd day before Shavu'ot, two days after Yeshua (Jesus) ascended to Heaven.

This drove the wedge between me and my family even deeper. They did not like me involved with this cult, did not like me going to church each Sunday. But I was totally accepted there, they loved me there, no one else loved me like they did.

Soon afterwards, I was baptised in water, it was by full immersion. I was finally "officially" the member of this church, now allowed to partake of all of its ceremonies. This was my new family, and to hell with anyone who tried to pull me away from this new "family".

My relationship with this cult would continue for the next four years.

No comments: