Saturday, June 03, 2006

After the Orange Light.....

Hey y'all

Let's assume that the orange light sighting occured in 1980... this would fit into the fact I don't recall my brother being present in the car during this sighting which occured at Easter. In 1981 mum would have been six months pregnant with my brother and I don't think we made any road trips that year. And of course my brother would have been born and about 9 months old in 1982.

When we travel to the south coast for Easter, we travel on Thursday night prior to Good Friday. In 1980 this would have been April 3rd, corresponding to Nisan 17 on the lunar calendar. Since the trip took place after sunset, the actual lunar day of the trip would have been Nisan 18, coinciding with the 4th day of Chag HaMatzah (Passover) which is the mid-point of this Jewish festival.

This would therefore be the date of this orange light experience.

Passover is the celebration of the Jews' release from slavery in Egypt, however, the feast marked the start of intense trials and testing as the Jews began their 40 years of wandering in the wilderness before they entered the promised land. The Jews endured much hardships in the wilderness, and this would turn out to be the story of my experiences since witnessing this orange light.

April 1980.... at this point, mum and her boyfriend were not married. Their marriage took place in September 1980. They honeymooned in Europe for two months in October and November, and mum fell pregnant with what turned out to be my half-brother, who was born in July 1981.

As for me I was in my final two years of secondary school, studying for entrance into university to study physics and computer science. I graduated high school in 1981, gaining the school award for physics since I scored the top mark in the entire school.

However my studies at university coincided with the birth of my brother, who turned out to be a difficult child. The resultant turmoils at home affected my studies, and my academic achievements were far less than it could have been.

My years at university also marked other turning points in my life.... these I will share later.

No comments: